What is Ortho Pantamogram?
It is the panoramic scanning dental X-ray of the upper and lower jaw. It shows a two-dimensional view of a half-circle from ear to ear. The images provide an overview of the state of the dentition as well as information regarding the bones of the jaw, the sinuses in the upper jaw and the joints between the jaw and the skull
Why it is done?
It is used primarily as a rapid screening examination to show the general anatomic relationships of the maxilla, mandible, and adjacent structures.
OPGs are used by Dentists to provide information on:
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- Diagnosis and treatment planning
- Periodontal bone loss and periapical involvement
- Finding the source of dental pain
- Assessment for the placement of dental implants
- Orthodontic assessment, pre- and post-operative
- Caries detection especially in the inter-dental region
- Diagnosis of developmental anomalies such as Cherubism, Cleido cranial dysplasia
- Carcinoma in relation to the jaws
- Tempero mandibular joint dysfuctions and ankylosis
- Diagnosis of osteosarcoma, ameloblastoma, renal osteodystrophy affecting jaws, hypophosphatemia
The most common use is to determine the status of wisdom teeth and trauma to the jaws
How to Prepare for Ortho Pantamogram
No Preparation required